Saturday, July 10, 2010

Today's Bike: Matt's Fuji Professional

Thanks to reader Matt B for sending these photos. He writes,

"Hello. I just came across your site by accident. While I am not sure if you are interested in this, as it isn't a typical Italian or European make, it is a bit unusual. In fact, I have only tracked down one other.

This odd duck was only offered in the Fuji catalogs for two years, 1981 & 1982. Even more unusual, is the serial number which dates the bike to 1984, a custom job for sure. It's not every day that you see a Japanese bike spec'd with Campy components during the height of Suntour, but I'll not complain. It rides like a dream."

Look closely, and you'll see that the right rear dropout is drilled for a Porte Catena, a semi-automatic chain hanger offered by Campagnolo around this time. A Porte Catena resides in Campy Only's museum, but we've never seen one on a bike.









- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a brown Team Fuji which was the little brother of your Fuji Professional. It came with Suntour ARX and gold Araya rims. A really nice bike and my first "lightweight" bike I dreamed of converting it over to Campy but couldnt afford it at the time. (I was only 13).

    ReplyDelete